DIY COCKROACH CONTROL IN MY HOUSE
There are countless online sources for DIY projects, from home improvement and repairs, to DIY cockroach control. If you want to learn how to get rid of roaches, you can find information on home remedies, traps and bait. Even though you might be handy with home repairs and projects, you may want to hire a pest control professional to deal with a cockroach infestation. Below we explain how a roach infestation can affect your home, and why you should trust the treatment to a trained professional.
DID YOU KNOW?
There are thousands of different species of cockroaches, though most people are only familiar with the roaches that typically infest homes, including the American cockroach, German cockroach, Oriental cockroach, and the Smoky brown cockroach.
- Cockroaches are attracted to food, water and shelter, and can be found in any home.
- They get into cabinets and food, and will leave droppings throughout the kitchen and home.
- Some species of roaches emit a strong, unpleasant odor that is difficult to get rid of.
- Roaches reproduce like crazy: The female German cockroach can produce more than 30,000 offspring in just ONE year!
- Roaches carry bacteria and can spread germs. They also trigger allergic reactions in some people.
IS DIY COCKROACH CONTROL EFFECTIVE?
It is possible to eliminate a cockroach infestation using DIY methods, but it requires you to properly identify the type of roach, choose the right treatment, and apply it properly. It’s important to follow pesticide instructions precisely so you will know exactly how to apply them. Most homeowners do not have experience using pesticides, which can result in ineffective pest control, or safety issues, if they are not used correctly. Additional factors that can affect the effectiveness of DIY cockroach control:
- It’s possible to have more than one type of roach in your home, and they could require completely different treatment methods.
- Home remedies may appear to work at first, but their effectiveness is usually short lived.
- DIY treatments and over-the-counter sprays only treat the insects you can see on the surface, they do not eliminate the thousands more that could be living in your walls or crawlspace.
- Some DIY roach control methods you find online may not be environmentally friendly, and could contain harmful substances.
WILL DIY ROACH CONTROL SAVE YOU MONEY?
It seems like a DIY cockroach control method would save you money. If the supplies are inexpensive and it works – then you might save money. But, you could also find that you spent a lot of money on materials and supplies, only to learn that the treatment wasn’t effective. If you then need to have a pest control professional come treat your home, you’ll be out a lot more money than if had just called the pros first. In addition to costing you money, DIY methods require research, prep work, time to apply the treatment, and clean up.
THE BEST WAY TO TREAT A COCKROACH INFESTATION
DIY projects can be fun and rewarding, but it’s important to not take on a task that will cause you headaches or frustration. With a large task like cockroach control, it’s best to trust the professionals. We can evaluate your situation and customize a treatment plan that best fits your needs – and will free up your time for the DIY projects that you enjoy doing!